The Anglican Parish of Holy Cross was created by the amalgamation of two formerly separate parishes: St. Michael and All Angels (1909 – 1997) and St. Cyprian (1925 – 1997). The two congregations came together with the vision that together they could be a more effective witness to God’s love in Jesus Christ than they could by remaining separate entities. The very act of the two parishes joining together has been a witness to Jesus’ prayer that “we all might be one.” (John 17:21)
St. Michael and All Angels Anglican Church opened in 1909 on 16 Avenue and 3 Street NW. The widening of 16 Avenue North led to the building’s closure in 1997 and its demolition in 2003.
St. Cyprian Anglican Church began as a mission church of St. Barnabas Anglican Church in 1925. In 1961, the congregation moved from its location at 20 Avenue and 15 Street NW to the present-day church at 2828 - 19 Street NW.
In January 1997, the first combined parish council meeting was held to discuss amalgamation of the two parishes; both parishes affirmed their support for this at their respective Annual Meetings of Parishioners on February 2, 1997. St. Michael held a final celebration weekend on September 26 to 28, 1997.
On October 5, 1997 the official amalgamation took place. The afternoon began with a deconsecration service at St. Michael, followed by parishioners from both parishes parading to St. Cyprian with the St. Michael’s altar and baptismal font for a service of Holy Communion and supper. Six ballots were held to select a new name for the parish at the 1998 Annual Meeting of Parishioners. With the parish’s recommendation, Archbishop Barry Curtis formally announced the name of the parish to be “Holy Cross Anglican Church” on March 1, 1998.
In 2015 a building addition comprising an expanded narthex, meeting rooms, and offices was completed.
Two of the stained-glass windows from St. Michael were included in the addition. The window depicting the Ascension was installed on Ascension Day, May 14, 2015 in the upper windows of the narthex.
A three-panelled window which formerly graced the east window at St. Michael and All Angels is now installed in the St. Michael room. The middle panel depicts Jesus as the Good Shepherd and was dedicated in 1920 in memory of 17 men from the parish killed in action during World War. The panel on the left depicts St. Michael and was dedicated to the memory of the Rev. H.M. Shore, the first rector of St. Michael and All Angels. The panel on the right depicts St. George and was dedicated to the memory of former members of the Women’s Auxiliary.
Thank you to David Peyto for his assistance in preparing this article. More information can be found in his book, "Our Shared History", written for the 10th anniversary of the amalgamation of the parishes. Thank you to archivist Gwen Gover for her assistance in accessing materials. Photographs of the stained glass windows were taken by Jim Tubman and are used here with his permission.